Similarly to other FromSoftware games, Elden Ring gives players a way to fight in and out in online multiplayer. Tarnished players can invade other players’ games by using the Festering Bloody Finger which can be bought from Kale the Merchant.
You can find the Kale location that sells Bloody Fingers near the minor Erd Tree on the eastern part of the map. They sell for 1,000 Runes each and he carries five at a time. It can be used to initiate random matchmaking in order to take on other players. You can see the exact location in the map below:
PVP in Elden Ring
This isn’t the only PVP item found in Elden Ring, here are several others:
- Blue Cipher Ring – Places you into a readied state where you will automatically answer another player’s call for help. If summoned, you will help the other player eliminate the Bloody Finger invader.
- White Cipher Ring – Sends out an automatic request for help that triggers whenever you get invaded by a Bloody Finger.
- Furlcalling Finger Remedy – Allows you to see Summon Signs of all sorts in a wide area around you. Interacting with the Signs will pull the player into your world.
- Duelist’s Furled Finger – You place a Red Summon Sign on the ground, challenging anyone who summons you to a duel in your world.
- Taunter’s Tongue – You allow Bloody Fingers to invade your world.
- Small Red Effigy – You send a competitive sign to the Summoning Pool nearby.
- Festering Bloody Finger – Allows you to invade a random player’s world.
Get the Bloody Finger and invade other players
The Bloody Finger lets players utilize the random invasion mechanic. You’re essentially breaking into another player’s game who’s active in an online session. When you use it, you’ll need to be connected to Elden Ring servers. The Bloody Finger will then attempt to matchmake you with another player.
Once there, you’ll be tasked with killing that other player, dubbed the Host of Fingers. You can get a singleplayer glimpse of how this works by heading north of the Minor Erd Tree. There, you’ll find and fight Anastasia, the Tarnished-Eater. Other players will be coated with a thick red coat that’ll make them impossible to miss.
A small barrier will form around the area in which the fight will take place. So, you can’t run unless you have another special item, the Phantom Bloody Finger. Flask usage is also cut in half during these fights, so you won’t be able to heal as much.
PVP in FromSoftware games has fueled an entire community of duelists and Elden Ring should be no different.
You can play offline if you’d like to avoid these encounters in favor of completing your adventure solo. However, you won’t be able to summon other players for help in a cooperative sense.